Subject: Re: electricity bill versus repair bill
From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 06:40:09 -0500

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Marc Dole wrote:

>         I have 4 computers, monitors, drive tower, and a video deck running
> of an APC battery backup/line stabilizer.  It cost me $1k, but everytime i
> see the lights dim in the office or I hear the APC beep due to low voltage I
> get a techie smerk on my face.

An APC battery backup unit was one of the best investments I made this 
year...when I got my Raptor and read the WinNT documentation that says it 
is a bad thing to power down the WinNT system without doing a proper 
shut-down, I said "Well, time to get a battery backup!"...a few weeks 
later I had my Raptor chugging along and was saving a rather large scene 
to my Amiga's hard drives when the power went out...it corrupted the 
Amiga's drive and I ended up losing that version of the scene because 
LightWave 4.0 Alpha Pre-Release couldn't recover from the dropped network 
connection.  The next day I went out and bought two more batter backups 
so that all of my major equipment was protected...I've never regretted 
doing this as these things have saved me at least 3-4 DOZEN times in the 
last 6 months!  

I live in a (somewhat) remote wooded area that seems to have a lot of 
problems with stable electricity service...we have a LOT of incidents 
where the power goes out for a split second...not long enough to shut 
off the TV, but long enough to kill the computer.  The battery back up 
units now allow me "worry-free" operation...I can leave my machines on 
for a couple of months, uninterrupted, and not have to worry about data 
loss or hardware damage from power outtages.  Highly recommended!

                                     -David Warner